Michael Lai, D.P.M.
Dr. Michael Lai is an American Podiatrist who underwent his surgical training and hospital residency in the United States. Dr. Lai received his doctorate from the prestigious New York College of Podiatric Medicine in 1999. As a specialist of the lower limb, Dr. Lai worked in major hospitals in the United States, Hong Kong, and in Singapore.
Dr. Lai trained under luminaries in the field of podiatry such as Dr. Justin Wernick and Dr. Sheldon Langer, the founders of industry pioneer Langer Biomechanics Inc. As a result of these formative experiences, Dr. Lai has honed an intuitive clinical grasp of the myriad biomechanical conditions which can result in lower limb pain and dysfunction. Dr. Lai brings to bear his years of experience working in various major hospitals and medical centres in the United States. He utilises the podiatric strategy of risk prevention and limb salvage to save diabetic patients from progressing to amputation.
In private practice, Dr. Lai serves as Principal Podiatrist at East Coast Podiatry where he continues to use his specialist expertise to treat everyone from children with complex foot deformities to diabetic elderly with leg and feet ulcers.
Dr. Lai graduated as a Doctor of Podiatric Medicine from the New York College of Podiatric Medicine in 1999 (http://www.nycpm.edu). From 1999 to 2007, he worked and trained as a resident doctor in various major hospitals and clinic centres in the USA: The Foot Clinics of New York, St. John’s Episcopal Hospital, St. Vincent’s Catholic Medial Centre, and the New Jersey Veterans Administration Health Care System. He also trained in a surgical fellowship under distinguished podiatric professors at the Yale University School of Medicine.
Dr. Michael Lai served for 6 years, first as a Senior Podiatrist, then Principal Podiatrist at Singapore General Hospital. During this time, he was active in patient care, the training of new podiatrists, and public health administrative duties such as the drafting and updating of official clinical protocols.
Dr. Lai was recognized for his public health service with multiple SGH service quality awards. Dr Lai has appeared on TV and radio interviews, as well as in many health awareness videos. He has participated in professional education seminars and public health awareness campaigns. Among other events, he has lectured at the Singapore Expo (Footcare for Diabetic Elderly), the Inaugural International Orthopaedic Nursing Congress, the Supreme Court of Singapore, as well as written for the Straits Times on foot disorders.
“In the many years of my professional career as a doctor of the foot, I have seen too many children grow up with leg disorders that could have been prevented during their childhood. I believe that this can be changed in Singapore with good education and early awareness.”
- General treatments (incl. scalpel work for wound debridement)
- Shockwave Therapy (radial, focused)
- Prescription Shoe Insoles (foot orthotics)
- Prescription Ankle Foot Orthotics (for conditions such as drop foot)
- Nail Surgery (minimal invasive technique with phenolisation)
- Ultrasound Diagnostic Scanning
- Sports Taping
- Doctor of Podiatric Medicine
- Advanced Medical Shockwave Application (Focused & Radial) ISMST
- Advanced Shockwave Application for fascia conditions
- Advanced clinical assessments for musculoskeletal conditions
- Treating drop foot and ankle deformity conditions with ankle foot orthoses
- Sport Taping for stabilisation and increasing mobile function
- Techniques on advance biomechanics assessment
- Diagnostic ultrasound imaging
- Sports Medicine
- Vascular Conditions of the lower extremity
- Orthopaedic related conditions
- Wound Healing
- Orthotics design