Singapore’s 58th National Day is right around the corner and it is a time for joyous celebrations and festivities all across the nation! As we all know, one of the most anticipated highlights of National Day is catching the spectacular fireworks display, which is why it is important to be prepared for long hours of standing and waiting in the crowd. Standing for long hours can take a toll on your feet and may leave them feeling weary and in pain. Whether you’re watching the National Day Parade at the Padang or enjoying the festivities from another location, it is essential to take proactive steps to care for your feet during this day.
Here are 6 simple tips to keep your feet happy and healthy during Singapore National Day:
- Wear comfortable shoes. This is probably the most practical and important tip. Make sure your shoes fit well and provide good arch support. Shoes that are too tight or too loose can cause pain and discomfort, while shoes that do not have good arch support can lead to fatigue and aching feet. Look for shoes that are made from breathable materials to help keep your feet cool and dry. You may also want to consider wearing shoes with a bit of cushioning to provide additional comfort.
- Take breaks. During long periods of standing, it’s important to take breaks and give your feet some rest. If possible, sit down for a while to relax your feet. But if sitting isn’t an option, try taking short walks or doing some light exercises to keep your blood flowing and give your feet a break. Taking these breaks will help keep your feet feeling refreshed and energized.
- Stretch! Stretching is key. Give your feet some TLC by doing simple stretches like pointing your toes and flexing your ankles. Not only will it improve circulation, but it can also help reduce pain and discomfort. Take a few moments to stretch throughout the day, and your feet will thank you for it!
- Elevate your feet. When you get home, take a moment to elevate your feet to reduce swelling and ease discomfort. Whether you’re sitting with your feet up on a chair or lying down with them propped on a pillow, this simple step can work wonders.
- Massage your feet. Giving your feet a gentle massage after a long day of standing can help to boost circulation and soothe those tired muscles. You can simply grab a massage ball or use your hands to knead away the stress and pain.
- Moisturise your feet. Did you know that dry skin can make your feet more prone to pain? This is your sign to moisturize your feet regularly with a non-irritating yet effective and hydrating lotion! Hydrated feet are happy feet, so go and show them some love.
Here are some additional tips that you can keep in mind as well:
- Wear sunscreen to protect yourself from the sun’s harmful rays.
- Bring a change of socks in case your feet get wet and sweaty.
- Avoid wearing open-toed shoes, as they can increase the risk of blisters and being stepped on especially in a crowded area.
- Drink plenty of fluids to stay hydrated.
If you’re looking for more information and expert advice on caring for your feet, do visit one of our friendly podiatrists at East Coast Podiatry. They are the go-to experts for maintaining healthy, happy feet!