Why Study Podiatry?
We depend on our feet every day, for mobility, independence and our daily activities. Despite this, our feet are often overlooked when it comes to caring for ourselves. This is slowly changing in Singapore, as the general public quickly becomes more aware of the importance of foot care and the profession of podiatry. Both public and private sectors of podiatry continue to grow, and there are always opportunities for new podiatrists.
What is Podiatry?
Podiatry is a health profession that focuses on the diagnosis, treatment, prevention and management of diseases, defects and injuries of the foot, ankle and lower limb.
Where can I study podiatry?
While podiatry is not available in Singapore as an undergraduate degree, it is available at multiple universities in Australia and the UK.
Universities that offer Podiatric Medicine in the United Kingdom & Northern Ireland
- Cardiff Metropolitan University – (Wales)
- The University of Huddersfield – (North England)
- University of Brighton – (South England)
- University of Plymouth – (South England)
- University of Northampton – (Middle England)
- University of Southampton – (South England)
- New College Durham – (North England)
- University of Salford – (North England)
- University of East London – (South England)
- University of Ulster – (Northern Ireland)
- Queen Margaret University – (Scotland)
- Birmingham Metropolitan University – (Middle England)
- Glasgow Caledonian University – (Scotland)
Universities that offer Podiatric Medicine in Australia
- La Trobe University – (Melbourne, South East Australia)
- Charles Sturt University – (Melbourne, South Australia)
- Queensland University of Technology – (Queensland, East Australia)
- The University of Western Australia – (Perth, West Australia)
- Western Sydney University – (Sydney, East Australia)
- Southern Cross University – (Lismore, North East Australia)
- Central Queensland University – (Sydney, East Australia)
- The University of Newcastle Australia – (Sydney, East Australia)
- University of Southern Australia – (Adelaide, South Australia)
Why are we doing this?
As a practice, we believe that it is crucial to educate the general public in Singapore on the importance of foot care and the role podiatry plays in the general health of an individual. To do so, we provide numerous resources on a wide variety of foot conditions and treatments in multiple formats and languages. But education alone is insufficient, for podiatry as a profession and a healthcare speciality to grow in Singapore, we believe that grooming young talents to join the profession is a necessity.
That’s why we have reached out to various pre-tertiary institutions and tertiary institutions in Singapore to educate students on the role of podiatry as well as the myriad possibilities available for those who join the profession. Some of our efforts include organising talks at schools, inviting students on learning journeys at our clinics and demonstrating via foot screenings for students.
Read on to find out more about the events we have organised with the schools.