Podiatric Intervention for hip pain:
For parents who are concerned with any of the previous information, podiatrists can thoroughly examine your child’s condition for any potential causes. These causes can vary widely, and some can be quite serious. It is therefore recommended that your child be assessed by a podiatrist to ensure that a correct diagnosis is obtained, as this will then allow the most appropriate treatment. Examining the child’s condition will involve:
- A paediatric-specific musculoskeletal assessment of the child’s lower limbs and postural alignment.
- Diagnostic imaging, including x-ray and diagnostic ultrasound, to evaluate the structures and alignment of the lower limbs, as well as the severity of the condition.
There are various treatment modalities that are used to treat hip pain based on the condition, severity, and age of the child. Following a comprehensive assessment of your child’s condition, treatment modalities can include:
- Customised foot orthotics or customised ankle-foot orthotics, to appropriately correct the child’s posture and assist in improving gait.
- Stretching and strengthening programs to improve the soft tissue structures that are involved with hip pain, to holistically treat the child’s condition.
- Focal and radial extracorporeal shockwave therapy (ESWT) to assist with pain reduction, stimulate healing, and improve joint range-of-motion.
- In severe cases of hip pain, the podiatrist may refer the child for orthopaedic surgical evaluation.
If your child or loved one is suffering from hip pain, call us to schedule an appointment with our podiatrists to have your child assessed or explore the options available for treatment.
Contact us for